Retrieving the HCI Log
Now that Developer options have been activated on the Android device, you can retrieve the HCI log.
- On the Android device go to Settings.
- Select Developer options.
- Click to enable Bluetooth HCI snoop logging.
- Return to the Settings screen and select Developer options.
- In the Developer options screen select Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log. The log file is now enabled.
Typical Android Developer options screen
- On the Android device turn off Bluetooth.
- Turn on Bluetooth.
- Reboot the Android device.
The HCI log file is now being generated and is saved to /sdcard/btsnoop_hci.log.
Note: Samsung devices have a slightly different location for the btsnoop file.
There are two options for retrieving the HCI log from the Android device.
- Attach the Android device to your computer. The file /sdcard/btsnoop_hci.log is in the root of one of the mountable drives. Copy the file to directory C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/Frontline Test Equipement/My Capture File/.
- The second option is to use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB)using the following steps. The debug bridge is included with Android Software Developer Kit.
- On the Androd device Development screen, select Android debugging or USB debugging.
- Connect your computer and Android device with a USB cable.
Open a terminal on your computer and run the following command.
Your Android device should show up in this list confirming that ADB is working.
List of devices attached
In the terminal enter the following command to copy the HCI Log to your computer.
adb pull /sdcard/btsnoop_hci.log